Table of Contents
RIMMF: Version 2
There are two ways to install/use RIMMF.
The first way, referred to as the 'Flash drive installation', is to unzip the RIMMF files onto a USB flash drive, or memory card, or any other storage area on your computer over which you have control1), and then run the program from that location. In this case, both program files and user data will be saved to the install folder. Unlike a standard installation, this option does not require access to administrative privileges on the computer at any time.
The second way, referred to as the 'Standard installation' below, is to let Windows2) install the program. This method adds an icon for the program to the desktop, and saves all data to the location defined as your My Documents folder3). During the installation process this method requires access to administrative privileges on the computer.
Which one should I use?
Choose whatever method allows you to update the software. If you do not have Admin rights, use the first one; if you do, use the second one.
Note: It is possible (in RIMMF2, but not RIMMF1) to use both installation types on the same machine; RIMMF will use the data and tables appropriate to the scenario in which the app is launched.
Here are a few notes to keep in mind if RIMMF is already installed, and you are updating your version of the program. If you have anything you want to save (other than records, which will not be affected by updates), backup your current RIMMF installation (eg., for a standard install, make a copy of My Documents\RIMMF2; for a zip install, make a copy of the installation folder).
If you are using the 'Flash drive installation', use these steps to update:
- Download the zip installer using the link below
- Extract the program to the same folder as you originally did
- When asked to confirm file replacement, respond 'Yes to all'
If you are using the ''Standard installation', just follow the steps below.
Either way, records, templates, or table customizations will not be changed or deleted.
Flash drive installation
- Click this link: Link to the zip installer
- “Save As” the file (setupRimmf2.zip) to your flash drive/memory card
- When the download completes, Right-click on the file setupRimmf2.zip
- Select the option 'Extract to “setupRimmf2\”'
- Open the folder “setupRimmf2”
- To add a desktop icon, right-click on the app 'rimmf2.exe' and select 'Send to desktop'
- To start the program, double-click on 'rimmf2' (or the icon, if you made a shortcut)
- Click this link: Link to the standard installer
- Save the file (setupRimmf2.exe) to your desktop (or another easy-to-remember location)
- When the download completes, double-click on the file 'setupRimmf2.exe'
- Respond to all prompts in the installation dialog
- To start the program, double-click on the desktop icon
Once the program is installed, the first time you open it, you will have to setup your record prefix, and then you will be ready to start RIMMFing resources. Here is some more info on starting the program for the first time.
You might also find this brief [flash player] tutorial helpful as a starting place: RIMMFing a Resource
Hopefully, you will also find the User Guide useful as you learn about RIMMF functionality. If you get stuck, send us an email:
Compatibility with RIMMF1
RIMMF1 and RIMMF2 may be installed on the same computer. Both programs may be used without impacting the other in any way.
However, please note these limitations:
- Only one version of RIMMF may be running at a given time (either 1 or 2 but not both)
- RIMMF1 records may be loaded into RIMMF2 (RIMMF2 is able to autoconvert RIMMF1 records)
- RIMMF2 records will not load in RIMMF1 (the result will be an empty record)
Note that RIMMF1 folder names are simply named 'RIMMF'; whereas RIMMF2 folder names will be named 'RIMMF2'. This note applies to both My Documents and Program Files.
For detailed notes on installation please use this link.