Table of Contents
Main Menu: Options Menu: Data Options
These options allow you to make your own choices about certain decisions that we did not feel that we should hardcode. Be very careful about changing the defaults for some of these options.
To be added
When making a new template, add elements from the sources selected below
To be added
Include 'Details Of' elements in manifestation and expression templates
The 'Details Of' elements add considerably to the list of elements shown in a template or a record for a Manifestation or an Expression, and yet they only need to be used on rare occasions.
- If this option is unchecked, then those elements will not show up on a template or a record, but can be inserted whenever needed (default)
- If this option is checked, then those elements will show up on the two default templates: '.01' and '.TMQ' and in any records that are opened in those two templates.
In a Work, use only the first selected Creator to construct the AAP
RDA 22.214.171.124 (Collaborative Works) Alternative #1 allows us to include the AAP for all creators named for a collaborative work in the AAP for the work. This results in an AAP that looks like this:
Gumbley, Warren, 1962– ; Johns, Dilys; Law, Garry. Management of wetland archaeological sites in New Zealand
We do not know of any library that would want to create AAP like this, but feel we have to allow you the option of doing this, if you so desire.
- If this option is checked, then only the first Creator listed in the Work form will be added as the Name portion of the AAP (default)
- If this option is unchecked, then only all Creators listed in the Work form will be added as the Name portion of the AAP, as shown in the example above.
We strongly advise you to stick with the default.
Use the order of entry in a record to determine the order of AAP components
RDA instructs us to make additions to “Make additions to access points if needed to distinguish the access point” but does not give explicit instructions about the order in which those additions should be entered.
We have organized the default TMQ templates so that the elements that can be added to AAP are given in what seems to be the required order (mostly) but if that order is not the order that is needed for creating a comprehensible AAP, we need to be able to allow you to order those elements correctly.
- If this option is unchecked, then the AAP elements will be added in the AAP in our internal order, no matter what their order is in the form (default)
- If this option is checked, then the AAP elements will be added in the AAP in the order in which they appear in the form. This will allow you to change the order of the elements in the AAP by changing the order in which the elements appear in the form.
Link Manifestations and Works (using manifestationOfWork and workManifested)
RDA 17.0 (General guidelines on recording primary relationships) point 'b' allows us to link Manifestation data directly to Work data, without intervening Expression data.
We do not think this is a good idea, but have to be able to allow you to do this, if you so desire.
- If this option is unchecked, then you cannot link a Manifestation directly to a Work, you must link to an Expression (default)
- If this option is checked, then you can link a Manifestation directly to a Work, without having to link to an Expression in order to get to the Work.
We really don't advise that you invoke the second option.
In MARC Export, write RDA Relationship Designators as Terms ($e) instead of Codes ($4)
Some libraries prefer to use $4 (MARC relator codes) instead of $e (MARC relator terms) for the RDA Relationship Designators.
- If this option is checked, then an RDA Relationship Designator will be mapped as a MARC Relator Term in a subfield $e (default)
- If this option is unchecked, then an RDA Relationship Designator will be mapped as a MARC Relator Code in a subfield $4.
Titlecase terms from value vocabularies when used in an AAP
The capitalization guidance for terms used in controlled vocabularies (e.g., for Content Type, Media Type, etc.) is not consistent with the use of those terms when they are added in an Authorized Access Point (AAP).
- If this option is checked, then a term in a list of controlled terms, provided in a pull-down list, will always be capitalized when it is displayed in an AAP (default)
- If this option is unchecked, then a term in a list of controlled terms, provided in a pull-down list, will be displayed in the same way as it is shown in the list, when it is displayed in an AAP.
In RDF Export, use opaque uris, instead of lexical uris for RDA properties
To be added
Include Item entities in RDA Record Set views
RIMMF is set up to exclude Item records from [[menu:rdarecordsets|RDA Record Set] views and exports. If you would like Item records to be included in RDA Record Set views and exports, check the box.
- If this option is unchecked, then Item records are not included in RDA Record Set views and exports(default)
- If this option is checked, then Item records will be included in RDA Record Set views and exports.
Automatically add missing backlinks during EI creation
To be added
We strongly advise that you stick with the default option for this.
Include WEMI (Group 1) relationships in Agent (Group 2) records
From our reading of the RDA instructions and the Relationship Designator appendices, our initial understanding of the links between WEMI (Group 1) entities and Agent (Group 2) instructions was that WEMI would link to Agents, but Agents would not link back to WEMI. We assumed that this was because you could end up with a large number of links to WEMI in an Agent record. We worked out a way to show all of the WEMI links for an Agent in the Agent's R-Tree, without having to have those links actually in the Agent's record. But you could not get to a WEMI record from a PFC record, even though you could get to a PFC record by clicking on a link to it in a WEMI record.
From working with the RDA Registry, however, it is now clear that every relationship link in RDA has an inverse link, pointing in both directions.
However, just in case you find the sometimes hugely long lists of WEMI links in some PFC records too distracting, we have provided an option to exclude WEMI links from showing up in PFC (Agent) records.
- If this option is checked, then links to WEMI records will display in PFC records (default)
- If this option is unchecked, then links to WEMI records will not display in PFC records.