Table of Contents
Using RIMMF. Tutorial #12, Import a Bib record that has no NAF record for its Work or Expression
In this tutorial, we are going to learn about importing an LC Bib record as a RIMMF Manifestation record when no Work or Expression NAF record is available.
Alternate: Use a pre-built folder
If you want to jump to this tutorial without doing the previous tutorials, follow the "Download Web Folder" instructions and download the following folder from our website:
If you intend to use this file to proceed through the remaining tutorials, remember that it is located in your '\RIMMF3\imports\zip' folder.
Find, View and Import the Manifestation Record
- Change the Search Source to '[BIB]Title'
- Search: Smoky house
- <View MARC>
Notice that RIMMF is going to import the Manifestation, create records for the Expression, and Work, import a NAF record for a Person: Floethe, as an Illustrator, and link to the Author: Goudge.
- Click the down arrow by the <Import> button
- Select <Selected records>
- Click <OK> for '4 records imported'
Check the Manifestation
- Double-click on the Manifestation heading in the R-Tree
- Split the 'Statement of Responsibility Relating to Title Proper' into two:
- Click on the Text box for the element
- select and cut <Crtl+X> the illustrator data from the first element
- paste <Crtl+V> that data into the second element
- don't forget to tidy up the punctuation
RIMMF would have done this split for you, if the separating punctuation had been the semicolon ( ; ) that it should have been.
- Always remember to especially check the Publication and Extent data, to be sure it came over ok
- Save the record
Check the Expression
- Go to the Expression (click the [E] button)
Look at the MARC record, to see whether there is anything you could add or edit in the Expression data. There is nothing more to be done.
Check the Work
- Go to the Work
I don't see anything in the MARC record, that you could add in the Work data.
View the R-Tree
- Click <R-Tree>, from the Work record
- Expand the Expression
Notice the Illustrator that was added in the import; we should check it
- Open the Illustrator record
- Open the Source record for it:
- Options | Show source <Ctrl+Alt+S>
Let's just say, for now, that this import is fine as is.
- Close the MARC record
- Close the Person record
- Back at the R-Tree, switch the R-Tree to the Goudge record:
- Click on the Goudge heading
Notice that all of the relationship labels are correctly given as 'Author of'
End this Tutorial
- Close everything
If you are finished playing with RIMMF for now, close RIMMF. If you want to proceed, go to Tutorial #13